Tuesday, July 8, 2014

"The Fault In Our Stars" plus other stuff

      Just to forewarn you, I have not actually seen the newest in romantic cinematic experiences to grace the big screens know as "The Fault In Our Stars". What I do know is that it involves two young adults with terminal caner and falling in love. The reason I am talking about it is that in the last three days I have heard about the movie on three separate occasions from folks who do not know about my diagnosis. I laugh because they tell me "it is a great movie because so many people are getting cancer these days." I have to laugh a little because they are telling someone who is Stage IV about this. Now I think any movie that tries to tell the tale of young adults suffering from cancer is an important one. If you look at the figures from the American Cancer Society they say 855,220 men and 810, 320 women will be diagnosed with cancer this year. That is a little over 1.6 million new cases. About 4.5% or 72,000 (stupidcancer.org) will be in young adults. As you can see not in the norm. So like I said it is nice to see some attention put on it and maybe ( I hope) the movie tells the story well enough that most people can see the troubles that we go through on a day to day basis or the fact that we put part of our life on hold for a little bit. Now a friend of mine who does know about my diagnosis suggested that I take this girl on date to see this movie. Now this lady is a very special person in my life. She has been to the doctor with me and is going on my last day of chemotherapy. In addition she meets up with me every couple weeks and we have been going for coffee. At the beginning when I was really fatigued and tired from not be able to eat she would bring her dogs over so at least I could play with them and of course we talked. About my diagnosis, terrible jokes, the future, how work was going, families, and just anything. My favorite thing though you ask? Towards the beginning of treatment I had a weird fascination with food since I couldn't eat and she had agreed that we would go to this fancy Sunday Brunch when I was done. Something to look forward too. Something she has a done a fantastic job of. I guess I could  go on and on. So my friend suggested I take her to see this movie. My thought was "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!" from what I understand this movie may be a little closer to life than lets say Transformers. So I am not sure if would take her to see that movie. Probably not because I don't think we need the troubles we are facing to be plastered in front of us on the big screen. But then again it might promote a good dialogue. Enough on that.
     My last post was kind part of a little freak out I had. I saw those numbers and well dang man they seem so overwhelming. It made me forget about things I was looking forward to and things I cared about and had me down. Remembering that I have nice brunch coming up, a nice little get together, and a fishing trip next week has got me in better spirits now. In addition I met with my boss this week and it looks like I will hopefully start work on the week of the 21st and hopefully be back full time the first week of August. The 17th is my last day of chemotherapy (for now anyways) and I will have another CT scan at the end of July. Hopefully these tumors are smaller than a golf ball by now.
      Things to look forward too are so important in times like these and help me get through those rough days. It has helped me realize what is important in my life. Maybe I need to do a better job of letting a certain someone know how important to me she is and how special she truly is. Sorry this post was half movie review of a movie I have never seen and romantic ramblings.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment